There are several varieties of a “Proprietary Product” called Chemi-pure. These are simply mixtures of the products below with very high price tags.
- Activated carbon will do the following:
- It will remove smells from a poorly aerated aquarium
- It will remove food coloring from cheap fish food which colors the aquarium water yellow or green
- It will remove brown tannins which leach from certain types of decorative wood
- Zeolite (clinoptilolite) will remove small amount of ammonia at great cost
- Ion exchange resins are of little use in an aquarium, especially if the water has any decent hardness (GH and/or KH)
- Phosphate removing resin work if you have algae in your tank caused by high phosphates in your tap water. This is a rare occurrence.
So if you want to do some of the above things and pay a huge amount of money to do them, be my guest. Buy yourself some Chemi-pure!
If you want further information on each of the media found in the mixture called Chemi-pure, click on the following links.
7.4.2. Activated Carbon
7.4.3. Ion-Exchange Resins
7.4.5. Phosphate Removing Granules
Return to Filter Media Menu
Return to Chemical Filtration Media Menu
Aquarium Science Website
The chapters shown below or on the right side in maroon lead to close to 400 articles on all aspects of keeping a freshwater aquarium. These articles have NO links to profit making sites and are thus unbiased in their recommendations, unlike all the for-profit sites you will find with Google. Bookmark and browse!