There are several varieties of a “Proprietary Product” called Chemi-pure.
These are simply mixtures of the products below with very high price tags:
- Activated carbon will do the following:
- It will remove smells from a poorly aerated aquarium
- It will remove food coloring from cheap fish food which colors the aquarium water yellow or green
- It will remove brown tannins which leach from certain types of decorative wood
- Zeolite (clinoptilolite) will remove small amount of ammonia at great cost
- Ion exchange resins are of little use in an aquarium, especially if the water has any decent hardness (GH and/or KH)
- Phosphate removing resin work if you have algae in your tank caused by high phosphates in your tap water. This is a rare occurrence.
So if you want to do some of the above things and pay a huge amount of money to do them, be my guest. Buy yourself some Chemi-pure!
If you want further information on each of the media found in the mixture called Chemi-pure, click on the following links.